Wednesday 31 January 2018

For the Women!

And I'm back as promised, it's Wednesday evening, not the best weather in Toronto right now but if you're reading this, you're lucky enough :) This post isn't made to be too uplifting today just something that I chose to speak about considering all the stuff coming out in the media right now. It's come to my attention that things like harassment, sexual assault and similar issues are very much in the limelight right now. The #MeToo campaign and awareness is something so incredible. It's really amazing to see these courageous people and assault survivours (I'd rather say survivours than victims) come out and seek justice while being oppressed. Nothing is stopping them and that's how it should be. Well, yesterday on the way home from one of my evening classes I witnessed something a bit off on public transit. There was a woman that was sitting next to an old man with a bit of the shakes. His hand was shaking an awful lot though somehow it still ended up on the woman's leg. That's when he suddenly stopped shaking. The woman moved over on her seat further away from him. He placed his hand on her leg again (mind you, she's wearing a skirt with nylons underneath). This time she put her hands over his and personally moved it. She was clearly uncomfortable and the bus was pretty full so there wasn't any room for her to stand. It was a bit disturbing to see this happen because it was painfully awkward and the woman didn't say anything but as soon as the bus emptied a bit she moved seats. I know it doesn't make me right to be a bystander and see this happen but it was relatively fast and with her expressions I knew she had it handled, still I beg if anyone ever sees something like this anywhere, say something if you're able. Harassment is harassment, some people are gross, it happens and it needs to stop right!

No comments:

Post a Comment